qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Ritchie <ritch...@apache.org>
Subject Release Schedule
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:41:57 GMT
Hi as Release Manager for our next release I'd like to suggest the
following time line for this release.

Development--->|<--- Bug Fix, Feature Freeze --->|<--- Branch ---> | Release

The dates for each phase would be as follows:

End of Development : 2009-03-02
End of Feature Freeze : 2009-03-16
Release : 2009-03-27

These dates have been picked as we had previously shown an interest in
getting a release out in March. To achieve this we are following a
time boxed release schedule as we have done in the past.

In our previous release the notion of a 'Feature Freeze' was unclear
so for would define it for this release as:
 - Bug fix commits only

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/M4+Release+Process+Notes

I will address all of the points in a later email but some of the
points can be addressed here.

Previously we also had concerns (Note 4) about the length of time that
trunk would be in a bug fixing phase. To address this I propose that
we time box the phase to two weeks. If we have not completed bug
fixing in that time a branch will be made. This will allow new feature
development to continue on trunk whilst the, hopefully few, bugs are
ironed out in the release branch. Of course if we do get to a stable
release point before the end of the two week window a branch will be
taken at that point, lifting the trunk freeze early. I believe this
approach of branch and tag should also be adopted for future releases
and was the process ultimately used by M4; this would address Note 10.

On entering the bug fix phase all new features currently assigned to
the release and not committed will be de-scoped, at that point a
performing a JIRA review to prioritise blocking issues should help
address Notes 1, 5 and 7. At this point only new bug fix JIRAs should
be added to the release.

An alpha will be created at the start of the bug fix phase for testing
and so we can verify the package contents for licensing (Note 9) and
functionality. A beta may also be issued as we near the end of bug
fixing to allow package providers to verify that everything is still
in good order.

When we have resolved the blocking issues an RC will be created for
final testing and ultimately voting.

Regards

Martin

--