qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Ritchie <ritch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Changing the version number and what to change it too
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:32:46 GMT
2009/2/10 Aidan Skinner <aidan@apache.org>:
> Since the other thread got canned, let's hope we can get a resolution
> on this one. Two questions, since there are orthogonal choices to be
> made and Apache doesn't support condorcet voting.
>
> Question 1: Change the version number from M.x:
> [ ] Change the release from M.x to any of the other options
> [ ] Change the release from M.x to only my preferred option from
Question 2, otherwise keep it the same
[X] Keep the release number as M.x

> Question 2: Change the version number to:
> [ ] 0.5
> [ ] 1.5
> [ ] 5

I really don't think we should change our numbering now. I understand
the pain in the C++ tool chain and the desire to have a single release
number across the project. However, I think in the markets that Qpid
is going the fact is that the version number conveys a level of
stability. Moving to version 5 to me seems most in line with the
maturity of the product from a Java client users view. It runs with
both brokers and they are insulated from change by using JMS.

While I seem to be in the minority on this I would say we should keep
M5 a small and change set and then take our next release to a numeric
only version. What that is I'm open to 0.5/1.x seems to low and 6
would be artificially high. Anyway we can discuss all that later and
not on the Vote thread.

> - Aidan
>
> --
> Apache Qpid - World Domination through Advanced Message Queueing
> http://qpid.apache.org

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Martin Ritchie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org