qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Aidan Skinner <aidan.skin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changing the release numbering scheme (was Re: [VOTE] Version Numbers)
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:48:29 GMT
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com> wrote:

> Aidan Skinner wrote:

>> I don't think that adding 0-10 support to the Java broker is the only
>> step necessary before we declare ourselves 1.0. I'm not sure that
>> there's a consensus around what would be Qpid 1.0 just now.
>
> What else do you feel is necessary? For me it's all about interop across the
> different languages, and the biggest part of that is 0-10 support in the
> Java broker. I'd also like to see some progress on protocol neutral APIs in
> other languages, but I actually think thats an area where we can whip things
> into shape with relatively little work.

Interop and stable APIs are the two things for me. I'm not sure that
protocol-neutral APIs are necessary so long as they'd at least be
backwards compatible from then on out until a major rev eg. when
everything spoke AMQP 1-0 and only 1-0.

I don't think we're that far away from a N.0 either FWIW, just clarify
what we mean and what we need to do to get there.

- Aidan

http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org