qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Aidan Skinner <aidan.skin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changing the release numbering scheme (was Re: [VOTE] Version Numbers)
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 22:04:21 GMT
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Robert Greig <robert.j.greig@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/9 Aidan Skinner <aidan@apache.org>:
>
>>> I think it would be good to have a discussion - hopefully leading to
>>> consensus (!) - on what people think we need to have achieved to merit
>>> a 1.x release. To my mind, if people agree those items and they are
>>> different from what is in scope in our next release, that implies we
>>> don't have the correct focus for our next release(s).
>>
>> I think that's a separate issue. We do need to talk about our release
>> process a bit more, but that's probably best done in another thread.
>> Possibly this one: http://markmail.org/message/5bxobdc23rgbmqu7
>
> Well, people seem to have a view that we need to have certain features
> (APIs, protocol compatibility) to be able to have an X.0 release so I
> think it is directly related.
>
> I don't think it's related to our release process though?

Sorry, the 'seperate issue' bit was whether it should be in scope for
our next release or not, not that we shouldn't figure out what 1.0
would look like. Totally wasn't clear from what I'd written and
quoted.

>>> My own view is that Mx is a weak numbering scheme - something I have
>>> always felt and I have no idea why incubator projects have to be
>>> numbered (or should I say encumbered) in such a way. I am not sure
>>
>> They're not. I'm not sure where that idea originated, but it's never
>> been a requirement for podlings to release Mx numbered artifacts. I
>> think the "all podling release have to be M.x releases" fallacy is an
>> instance of the monkey/hose/banana problem[1].
>
> Interesting, I wonder how we ended up with such a poor numbering
> scheme in the first place. Anyway, that is a historical detail now I
> suppose.

Yeah, spilt version numbers and all that. :)

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org