qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Marnie McCormack <marnie.mccorm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Dependencies license question
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 09:23:47 GMT
Hi Andrea,

If we distribute (or store in our repo) any licensed artifact, then we
(sadly) have to take on the responsibility of dealing with it. Most likely
the licenses are ok to use (since Jetty is also Apace licensed) but you'll
have to check each one and include it as appropriate for Qpid. Basically, if
we use it then we have to check out/declare the license for it ourselves.

This link gives some useful info on dealing with 3rd party licenses:

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

Fundamentally, assuming you want to use/include something with an acceptable
non-Apache license then you need to:

- add details of each additional license to the license file in svn (they're
separated by language)
- add details to and notice files in svn (ditto)

We used to store a license file alongside the jars but it looks like we
abandoned than in favour of one big license file (correct me here if I'm
wrong all !!) that lists every license we need per language.

This is so that the license is correctly declared/handled. Often the license
will provide some text you can use to describe the product you're using in
the notice file.

Hth - give me a shout if not !

Regards,
Marnie