qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Marnie McCormack <marnie.mccorm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Documentation page
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:28:43 GMT

> <snip>
> Maintaining docs by language is not a good choice IMHO.
> We can clearly see that our users are trying to mix and match components
> written in different languages.
> Also the c++ broker is packaged by platform and IMO each package is a
> different product with possibly different documentation.
> After all we are promoting brokers, clients and management tools. So we
> need
> to talk about "our products" rather than group things under language.
> So that is the direction I have taken in the new documentation page.

Our products cannot currently be discussed as one thing, be it broker or
client, and we're watering down the value of our docs by trying to make it
all language independent.  The also cannot mix & match easily. This is the
future (and slightly the past) but now the present.

On the Java side, we can address the things you think aren't great about our
existing docs - but for now the language distinction is the only sensible
one that I can see.

On the C++, the packaging by platform is a new one on me - i thought we
distributed one thing for the cpp ? OPther places may host convenience
builds, but do we have them on Apache ?

I get a little irate when the Java docs get buried under a top level doc
which isn't specific enough to be useful. Here endeth my tirade ....

Marnie