qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Documentation page
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:47:59 GMT
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Marnie McCormack <
marnie.mccormack@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > <snip>
> > Maintaining docs by language is not a good choice IMHO.
> > We can clearly see that our users are trying to mix and match components
> > written in different languages.
> > Also the c++ broker is packaged by platform and IMO each package is a
> > different product with possibly different documentation.
> > After all we are promoting brokers, clients and management tools. So we
> > need
> > to talk about "our products" rather than group things under language.
> > So that is the direction I have taken in the new documentation page.
> >

> Our products cannot currently be discussed as one thing, be it broker or
> client, and we're watering down the value of our docs by trying to make it
> all language independent.  The also cannot mix & match easily. This is the
> future (and slightly the past) but now the present.
>
> On the Java side, we can address the things you think aren't great about
> our
> existing docs - but for now the language distinction is the only sensible
> one that I can see.
>
> On the C++, the packaging by platform is a new one on me - i thought we
> distributed one thing for the cpp ? OPther places may host convenience
> builds, but do we have them on Apache ?

We (as in Apache) don't offer different builds. We simply release the
source.
But the build instructions and setup may be different for each platform.
Certian features also are by platform. (Ex RDMA)
So you the documentation would need to address these concerns.

> I get a little irate when the Java docs get buried under a top level doc
> which isn't specific enough to be useful.

Could you please explain this a bit more? Are you refering to the old
documentation or the new documentation page?
looking at this link http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/documentation.html - could
you please tell me where I can quickly jump to the JMS client documentation
if I want to know about the connection URL?
To me the old documentation is not useful and looks disorganized. There were
several users who had to ask on the list to find out the information they
need. Thats what prompted me to have a go at the documentation.

If you look at the following link
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/DocumentationB
There is a clear logical path a user can follow to get to the information
they are looking for.

Perhaps I didn't fully understand your concern. If so my appologies.

Rajith

--
Regards,

Rajith Attapattu