qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: version number proposal
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 16:03:47 GMT
>From what I can see the source of peoples differing feelings isn't
over arbitrary versioning conventions, but rather over the direction
and state of the project as a whole. I think everyone actually has a
relatively similar notion of what 1.x vs 0.x means, but they're simply
applying it to with different priority to different portions of the
project.

Further I don't see a pressing reason to change the version numbering
scheme at this release.  As far as I can tell we are not aiming for
this release to bring either major functional changes or levels of
maturity that would in itself warrant a change of versioning scheme.

My preference would be to leave the existing scheme in place as a
reminder to us all that the priority must be to bring more cohesion to
the project so that a common versioning scheme makes sense.  We should
be aiming to release a coherent product which interoperates across all
platforms and gives our users a promise of some period of API
stability.  When we have achieved this then we can (with a fanfare)
release as version X.0 where X is yet to be decided.

--Rob