qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changing the release numbering scheme (was Re: [VOTE] Version Numbers)
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:52:10 GMT
2009/2/10 Aidan Skinner <aidan@apache.org>:
> (moving this to another thread so as to make tallying the vote easier)
>
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Robert Greig <robert.j.greig@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2009/2/9 Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godfrey@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> I'd rather stay on M5 and work towards a release which can be > 1.0
>>
>> I think it would be good to have a discussion - hopefully leading to
>> consensus (!) - on what people think we need to have achieved to merit
>> a 1.x release. To my mind, if people agree those items and they are
>> different from what is in scope in our next release, that implies we
>> don't have the correct focus for our next release(s).
>
> I think that's a separate issue. We do need to talk about our release
> process a bit more, but that's probably best done in another thread.
> Possibly this one: http://markmail.org/message/5bxobdc23rgbmqu7

I think we need to have a rationale for changing the release numbering
scheme at *this* release.

Given the lack of interoperability between components if I were only
given the choice of 0.5 and 1.5 then I would have to pick 0.5 right
now.  I really don't want to do that as I think 0.5 significantly
understates the maturity of the product.

However given we are currently scheduling the work to bring the Java
Broker up to 0-10 support I would rather hold off changing the
numbering scheme until that work has been done.  At that point I would
think we could move to a version numbering scheme with a major version
> 0.  This would make me happy.

-- Rob

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org