qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Version Numbers
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:51:37 GMT
2009/2/10 Marnie McCormack <marnie.mccormack@googlemail.com>:
> Rob,
>
> I seized the moment and started a vote thread. Carl had already tried to
> bring this debate to a vote ...
>
> You could start your own alternative vote thread - anyone could have started
> the vote here, and provide the options you'd like us to vote on. Please do
> so if you'd like.
>
> From my pov, graduation does seem to bring with it the ideal that we're no
> longer releasing milestones.
>
> Truly though, I'd just like a decision.

It seems to me though that this is a "When did you stop beating your
wife?" question.  It is based on a false premise (or at least on one
which has not yet been demonstrated to be true) - that the project has
reached some sort of consensus that *now* is the time to change the
numbering scheme.

It seems inappropriate to have a vote on what type of change we should
make without either first voting on the need (or timing) of the
change; or offering "no change" as an option.

Having two competing Vote threads makes no sense as they could lead to
contradictory results.

Can I ask that either we add a "No Change Just Yet" option to this
vote, or cancel this vote in favour of first establishing that the
majority this that *now* is the correct time to change.

While I can live with a 0.5 release I think that we are doing
ourselves a disservice if we do not wait the one or so extra releases
that would bring us up to interoperability between all the components
and the chance to move to an X.0 release number (X to be determined).

-- Rob

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org