qpid-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Version Numbers
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:35:09 GMT
2009/2/10 Carl Trieloff <cctrieloff@redhat.com>:
>> Can I ask that either we add a "No Change Just Yet" option to this
>> vote, or cancel this vote in favour of first establishing that the
>> majority this that *now* is the correct time to change.
>> While I can live with a 0.5 release I think that we are doing
>> ourselves a disservice if we do not wait the one or so extra releases
>> that would bring us up to interoperability between all the components
>> and the chance to move to an X.0 release number (X to be determined).
> Rob,
> The 'M' is a PAIN to deal with on the C++ side, with the tool chain. Are you
> ok doing 0.5 now
> and 1.0 once we have interop over 0-10 with the Java broker?
> Carl.

The M is certainly a pain in many ways... And I would dearly love to
be rid of it.  I just think that there is nothing compelling and new
that means we should do it now, rather than putting together a plan
for what an X.0 release would mean, doing that and the rewarding
ourselves with an X.0 release at the end of the process.

I could certainly live with an 0.5 scheme, but I do feel that if we
call a vote we should include all the options people have put forward.
 I also feel that when we come to numbering an X.0 release the X may
not be 1.  Almost all the components of Qpid are individually at a
greater level of maturity than 0.5 would signify.  If we bring
everything up to the same level and have them interoperate I think we
can reflect that.

-- Rob

Apache Qpid - AMQP Messaging Implementation
Project:      http://qpid.apache.org
Use/Interact: mailto:dev-subscribe@qpid.apache.org

View raw message