qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Version Numbers
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:23:42 GMT

> is graduatation not a good enough reason,

As per Aidan's earlier comment it seems like graduation and the
milestone numbering scheme should not be erroneously linked.

> and that everyone wants to get rid of it?

I see this situation as akin to the vote on the Monarchy in
Australia... The majority agrees that the current situation is
anachronistic and wrong, but people have not yet come to a settled
majority verdict on what it should be replaced it with.

I *really* don't want to label Qpid as v0.x because I think that
undermines the maturity that is present in the current product (you
may even know some people releasing commercial product off the back of
it ;-) )... However if you force me to vote now on a non M scheme I
would have to vote for 0.x.  That would also imply that the next major
release would be 1.0.  I actually think that when the time comes to
move to a full X.0 release we should start at something like v3.0
since there are at least two earlier stable baselines that people may
be currently using.

At the end of the day if the majority want to move to 0.5 or 1.5 now,
I'm happy to abide by that decision - but I think that in the
interests of democracy it is wrong to exclude "No change" from the
current vote.

-- Rob

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org