qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: want to contribute ;)
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:35:41 GMT
Carl Trieloff wrote:
> Etienne Antoniutti Di Muro wrote:
>> Having said so, some starter ideas about clustering, as follow:
>> if the C++ broker comes with a pretty complete clustering solution,
>> the idea of "borrowing" something
>> from there could be useful....otherwise should we implement from
>> scratch a NEW virtual synchrony solution ?! (I like virtual synchrony,
>> Alan ;) ) -- I would not underestimate the burden of such an
>> implementation.

I would say that the first step is to investigate existing open-source virtual
synchrony implementations Java and adopting one of those. With that in place,
Java could adopt a similar design to the C++ broker. That kind of scrutiny would
also be very healthy for the C++ broker, there's always room for improvement.

I don't think that writing a virtual synchrony implementation from scratch is
the right way to go.

I'd be strong there any existing open-source virtual synchrony solutions for
Java? I'd be

> That is a good idea, two things to look into is if we can put a Java API
> onto AIS, or at the Cluster.so
> level.  Understanding these two options might be good even if they don't
> work out as they will give
> you insight into how the C++ clustering works

That's also worth looking into. If we put a JNI interface over openais and/or
some subset of the existing cluster.so we could in principal support mixed
java/C++ clusters. Note however that IMO that is _not_ a very likely deployment
scenario, and JNI tends to be annoying at best and a show-stopper at worst for
many/most Java developers and users, so I think a native Java EVS protocol is
also worth considering. It actually might not be that hard to allow a choice of
EVS implementations depending on requirements.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org