qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: AMQP 1.0
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:13:18 GMT
James Mansion wrote:
> Aidan Skinner wrote:
>> The Java client uses JMS for this to an extent, but we still need a
>> way of exposing AMQP specific things in ways that are as version
>> independent as possible (such as the mandatory flag).
> I can see that there is value in reaching out to developers who have JMS
> code or who
> wish to retain JMS capability, *please* don't hobble Java users who want
> the full-fat
> qpid experience by making everything fit with JMS.  Case in point: the
> Java client for
> postgres is annoyingly limited as soon as you want to receive async
> notifications and
> so on.  I would much prefer the most efficient and direct mapping to
> AMQP facilities
> possible in each language, and an adapter to legacy APIs.

My employer (Red Hat) has a growing number of both internal users and
customers that are using Qpid with heterogeneous applications
implemented in 2 or 3 different languages. This makes them much more
Qpid centric than JMS centric, and I think this is certainly an
important class of user that we must consider going forward. As of now
though I don't see there being any huge technical issues in making both
JMS centric and Qpid centric users happy.

[snip]

> Perhaps something to consider is trying to make the C/C++ client as
> lightweight as
> possible and having a reference SWIG wrapper.  In this case I would
> ideally look
> for the client to be 'passive' and allow the host to do raw connection
> establishment
> and raw IO so it acts as a protocol engine and avoid issues of event
> loop integration
> and so on.

It's definitely on our roadmap to build a lightweight C client suitable
for SWIG. We're at the limit of what we can support in terms of
maintenance with native clients in C++, Java, python, ruby, and .net, so
we're definitely going to be looking to reduce the maintenance burden
with a common C implementation for the interpreted languages. This is
really a prerequisite to building out support in any of the remaining
popular languages (e.g. perl, PHP).

--Rafael

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org