qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Robie <jonathan.ro...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Examples makefiles: I want to break your C++ builds ....
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:20:36 GMT
Manuel Teira Paz wrote:
> Hello, Jonathan.
> I made that change, if I remember correctly. Previously, the makefile
> in any of the examples directories was made by hand, and intended to
> be human-readable, to be deployed as part of the examples.
> Unfortunately, this way, the makefile was not in sync with the
> autotools world, and, for example, the compiler to be used, flags,
> library locations, were hardwired into the makefile to some extent.
> What we have now, as you said, is a autotools-generated makefile, to
> compile the examples in the build directory, and another one to be
> deployed (human-friendly) that also has to be capable of generating
> the examples, but using the installed distribution.

I am not advocating going back to the hand-written makefiles for the
examples.

The human-friendly one in ./liibs is generated by a target in the
Makefile in the given  example dirctory, and changes people make when
doing other things can break it. I like the fact that we have a readable
makefile that is generated, but when people break it, I want them to
notice. We had to fix it twice this last week.

A couple of possible approaches:

1. Let the current examples Makefile generate the ./libs Makefile, then
use it to compile the examples.
2. Add a goal to '$ make check' that creates a new directory with each
example and Makefile and ensures that it still compiles.

Can you think of other approaches that might be better?

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org