qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Robie <jonathan.ro...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Examples makefiles: I want to break your C++ builds ....
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:03:20 GMT
Gordon Sim wrote:
> Jonathan Robie wrote:
>> A couple of possible approaches:
>>
>> 1. Let the current examples Makefile generate the ./libs Makefile,
>> then use it to compile the examples.
>> 2. Add a goal to '$ make check' that creates a new directory with
>> each example and Makefile and ensures that it still compiles.
>
> One issue to consider is that the makefiles that will be bundled with
> the examples for distribution are intended to compile against
> installed versions of the headers and libs. By contrast the make check
> operates against a working directory.

Hmmmm, good point.  I'm not sure how to get around that, our testing
model does not presume that you've done a '$ make install'.

In my own environment, I now have shell scripts that install the
examples, compile them, and run them in each language. Maybe anyone
using the generated Makefiles will just have to do this. But I'd really
like to find a way to make this break upstream if there is an upstream
problem.

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org