qpid-dev mailing list archives

From James Mansion <ja...@mansionfamily.plus.com>
Subject Re: AMQP 1.0
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:18:28 GMT
Robert Greig wrote:
> JMS may not be perfect but I can just about guarantee that most of the
> apps written in Java for Qpid using the JMS API will work just fine
> when we release a Qpid broker than supports the 1-0 protocol. Who's
> feeling confident about Python??

I'm surprised about that.  Do you think jdbc provides similar
portability?  The
API might be pretty common, but there is no way on earth that makes
non-trivial
code portable between Sybase and PostgreSQL, for example - and nor even
does sticking hibernate on top to generate SQL for you help either, for
that matter.
In that particular case the Big Deal will be the concurrency model more than
anything else, followed by subtleties relating to careful use of
update-in-place
and index coverage (from the perspective of starting with Sybase anyway).

I would have thought that differences in the semantics of message ack
batching,
fan-out, authentication, subscription etc will be subtle but ultimately
irreconcilable,
and the ability to use a familiar JMS API will be a portability benefit
in theory more
than in practice.

Time will tell.  Clearly there is a body that want JMS with an ability
to get at
AMQP facilities, and a body that want to write an AMQP application that
happens to use Java.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org