qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Danushka Menikkumbura <danus...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: C++ windows declspec question
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:53:12 GMT
If we go for the latter, then we have to decorate all the base classes.
This has to be done recursively. I started to do the job that way and
later found it really difficult to decorate some of the Qpid classes. If
I remember right there were issues related to some of the Boost base
classes as well.

Danushka
> I'm writing up some principles for future-proofing the C++ API and I
> have a question on declspec use:
>
> The client API uses this idiom:
>
> class Foo {
> public:
>   QPID_CLIENT_EXTERN f();
>   QPID_CLIENT_EXTERN g();
> };
>
> In past projects I've always used this idiom:
>
> class QPID_CLIENT_EXTERN Foo {
> pulblic:
>   f();
>   g();
> };
>
> What's the reason for doing the former rather than the latter? It
> seems more verbose and error prone.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org