qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AMQP 1.0
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:58:12 GMT
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com> wrote:

> Robert Godfrey wrote:

>> That is why I advocate an *interface* rather than casting into
>> implementation classes.
>
> An interface if restricted to only permit features not accessible
> through vanilla JMS would certainly help, but I still think casting as
> part of the API unacceptably blurs the boundaries of the API. There is
> no way to tell what types you're allowed to cast and which interfaces
> you're allowed to cast it to.

I've always hated that about Java. I'm pretty firm on the
bondage-and-discipline side of the strong typing argument though, and
I realise others mileage may vary.

> access to the same broker extension. I would probably add an assertion
> based on the destination, broker vendor/version, etc to verify that the
> broker and recipient will understand what is being sent.

I think if we implement non-standard features we should definitely do this.

>> I understand that you have a pathalogical hatred of casts.  The java
>> syntax is certainly less than ideal.  However where we are depending
>> on AMQP specific behaviour it should be called out.
>
> It's not casts I dislike. It's casting as part of an API that I dislike
> since it makes the API unnecessarily blurry. It's also quite trivial to
> avoid assuming you don't have a pathological hatred of static methods. ;)

are you talking about something like public static AMQDestination
toAMQDestination(javax.jms.Destination dest) and that does the cast
inside AMQDestination?

>> Hopefully most AMQP/QPID extensions can be isolated in cofiguration
>> rather than code...
>
> I think the destination abstraction is a reasonably useful way to do
> this for most things. It gives us one mechanism that is mostly used via
> configuration but can also be used through code as well with
> createQueue(...) and friends.

I'm a little confused, are we talking about client config or server config?

- Aidan

http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org