qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AMQP 1.0
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:58:48 GMT
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com> wrote:

> Aidan Skinner wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com>
>> wrote:

> or something like that. But you could do something similar with the
> destination. Also, I wasn't necessarily thinking that you would cast inside
> the static method, I think the decorator thing I mentioned earlier is worthy
> of some exploration, but obviously one of the benefits of having the method
> is we can change what it does later.

This sounds like a plan to me. :)

>> I'm a little confused, are we talking about client config or server
>> config?
>
> I was thinking of client config, specifically what we've traditionally
> referred to as the "binding URL", although I've never actually understood
> why it's a URL, and it really doesn't have all that much to do with binding
> either, particularly in a 1-0 model.
>
> I'm actually just thinking that text based config strings for destinations
> can control a lot of the client behavior we care about, e.g. ack policy,
> sync policy, prefetch, etc, and this has the benefit of being usable from
> both a config file and from code, and it is sort of an approved extension
> point in as much as JMS has them.

That makes sense. I guess there's really two different aspects of
portability here.

There's "I want my new app to be written as portably as possible" in
which case going for compiler-enforceable extensions probably makes
sense.

There's also "I want to port my existing app to Qpid as quickly as
possible", in which case being able to control any AMQP or Qpid
specifc things from config without having to change your code is
probably much more valuable.

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org