qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Ján Sáreník <jsare...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Trying to build the broker on F10
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 09:46:00 GMT
Hi Bryan!

Thanks for bringing this up. I will now try to explain the
basics of GNU Autotools (intended mostly for those maintaining
autotools-based projects).

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 04:43:41PM -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> I am trying to build the latest cpp on f10. Running configure I get the
> following error:
>
> ./configure: line 1870: syntax error near unexpected token `dist-bzip2'
> ./configure: line 1870: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(dist-bzip2 subdir-objects)'
>
> I am not an autoconf guy.. can this build on f10?

The basic idea of GNU Autotools is that only developers with
particular versions of the tools would do all the needed stuff
to generate ./configure script along with all Makefile.in
(currently what ./bootstrap does).

Such sources would be then packaged into tarballs (yes, you
can automate it even for nightly snapshots) and then nobody
will have problems with their version of GNU auto* because
the generated ./configure script is full of _portable_ shell
code --> the people who want to compile a package from such
tarball should not be required to have autotools installed on
their system at all. Yes, there are no such tarballs for qpid
at the moment and even the releases (M4) require you to run
bootstrap which is really bad example of GNU autotools usage.

See the tutorial from the GNU Autotools author for more info:
http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~adl/autotools.html

Otherwise I am all for change to CMake, but only if there is
somebody who really knows how it works (and I am not the one).
The change of build system does not make us able to live
without reading docs.

  Best regards
   Jasan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org