qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: C++: proposal to clean up the public API.
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:52:16 GMT
Ted Ross wrote:
> Alan Conway wrote:
>> Public classes should fall into one of the following 3 categories:
>>
>> Handle: handle to refcounted object (e.g. Connection, Session)
>>  - pure pointer to impl (PIMPL) idiom: no data except impl pointer, no
>> virtual functions, no inlines.
>>  - qpid::client::Handle provides common base class
>>  - defined in client lib, namespace ::qpid::client
>>
> Could you go into a little more detail on this pattern?  I'm
> particularly interested in the lifecycle of the handle objects and how
> the ref counts are maintained.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ted

It  uses refcounts as per boost::intrusive_ptr, but this is not exposed in the
public  header files.

For an example see qpid/client/Subscription.h. The public header includes
qpid/client/Handle.h, Subscription.cpp includes qpid/client/HandlePrivate.h.

This pattern is useful for public API, but it's tedious & error prone to write
all the forwarding functions so I wouldn't recommend it for use on non-API code,
a qpid::RefCounted and boost::intrusive_ptr will do the job there.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org