qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [c++]: Sketch of a high-level, protocol independent API
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2009 19:53:38 GMT
James Mansion wrote:
> Gordon Sim wrote:
>> James Mansion wrote:
>>> My question is: why do you feel the need to create something
>>> materially different, and why in particular does
>>> a messaging API need to be much more complex for normal use?
>>
>> Could you elaborate a little on what aspect(s) you feel is/are much
>> more complex?
> Well, I'd look to replace class instances with handles and collaps as
> many fancy option
> setting/getting functions to a simple interface that uses string
> property names and put/get.
> And I'd expose a C API as much as possible with limited use of callbacks
> and buffer
> assignments in the user code rather than having to ask the API to delete
> buffers (or,
> worse, assume that the user code and API are sharing a heap manager).
>
> I would also look to have the API buffer received messages and use the
> simplest
> notification mechanism available.  So I'd suggest not starting with any
> fancy class
> structure at all, but first ask how you will integrate into
> applications' event loops.
>
> This is something that the MQ API is poor at from memory.
>
> Its not necessary for fancy stuff that configures special options to be
> fast, and having a
> very stable binary API is handy.  Also having an API that can be
> trivially wrapped
> with Python CTypes or P/Invoke is handy - not least its also easy to
> wrap with
> other tools such as swig.

Ok, so simple for you is avoiding fancy things, not just the ease of
writing programs to the API? Thats certainly a fair point and I think a
c API would be a great addition to the project. I'm still keen on a c++
API myself; it could at some point in the future be implemented on top
of such a c API.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org