qpid-dev mailing list archives

From David Ingham <David.Ing...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [0.5][README] Upcoming SVN surgery
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:14:26 GMT
Hi Aidan,

I was wondering whether you have an update on the planned schedule for 0.5. I know you're
all working hard to stabilize the Java side of the house but, selfishly, I'm keen to get the
Windows updates to the C++ that Steve has been working on out to the public in an official
build. I know we were originally targeting 3/27, what's your best guess on a revised schedule.

Thanks,

Dave.

-----Original Message-----
From: aidan.skinner@gmail.com [mailto:aidan.skinner@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Aidan Skinner
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 8:35 AM
To: dev@qpid.apache.org
Subject: [0.5][README] Upcoming SVN surgery

This is a "watch your head, incoming svn surgery" email. Sorry.

The Java server is currently the long sticking out thing that's
holding up 0.5, and there's significant enough concern about some of
the changes that have gone in that it's probably best to revert them.
Martin, Marnie and, to a lesser extent, I have been working on these
issues and feel that the best way forward is to back out the work
around TransactionLog and flow to disk and ship without them.

In the interests of doing so expediently and preserving a clear,
coherent SVN history,  we're going to do the following:

1. copy trunk at a known good revision from before this work started
onto a "newtip"[1] branch
2. use the new 1.5 svn merge tooling to take the good patches from
trunk to newtip
2.5 test newtip to ensure that the resulting broker is sound, safe and sane.
3. move trunk/qpid/java/broker to a holding branch so that the work
isn't lost and can be easily retrieved later
4. move newtip/qpid/java/broker to trunk/qpid/java/broker and copy it
to 0.5-release/qpid/java/broker

and then proceed from there. This should be the shortest path to a
releasable code base, albiet unfortunately losing some features we'd
love to have. That seems like a better plan than continuing to bug fix
and delaying the other components unnecessarily.

I'm not entirely sure about timescales, I expect that 4 will occur
towards the middle of next week.

Shout if you have a problem with this.

- Aidan

[1] probably not its actual name