qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [c++] warning: big header file move coming up...
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 16:10:40 GMT
On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 10:58 -0400, Alan Conway wrote:
> In order to be able to do source and/or binary compatible releases we need to
> clearly define the public API that a users compiler can see. Changes to that API
> then need to be done more thoughtfully as they may break compatibility.
>
> The attached file "allincludes"  lists our current public header files as far as
> I can tell. This list was generated by preprocessing all the examples and the
> tests listed in atttached file  "api_testprogs"

You've missed out the list of public API header files - the files that
are actually going to be moved. That list would be helpful.

> Tomorrow I'm planning to:
>   - move the non-generated public .h files to a new cpp/include directory
>   - update the code generator to generate public files to cpp/include/gen.
>   - update makefiles to build examples and aforementioned tests using only
> public headers.

Not a big deal, but cpp/gen/include would be a touch more consistent
with the existing tree (in that all generated code would still be in
cpp/gen, and in src/gen in an external bldtree - you've not forgotten
them I hope). Also this would avoid creating a src/cpp/include dir in an
external bldtree.

> Please shout if you have any concerns, or if you want to suggest changes to the
> set of public API headers.

As above, make sure this works in an external bldtree, and the structure
generated there is sensible.

Also remember that we have the cmake build as well now, so please update
that too - shout if you need help with this. Personally I don't think it
necessary to update the visual studio project files,because I think the
cmake build is now good enough to replace them - others may differ
however.

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org