qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: c++ client throw exception when trying to
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 18:28:15 GMT
As far as I know the qpid client code is not designed to cope with
pthread_cancel() shutting down threads in which it is running, and it
could do bad things.

I think the thing to do is to close() the  relevant connection. That
should cause any call blocked on that connection to exit or throw an
exception. Then you can leave the thread loop or cancel the thread if
necessary.

Andrew

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 18:59 +0100, Shan Wang wrote:
> A FailoverManager runs in a separate thread, because that execute()
> function is a blocking call, I tried to use pthread_cancel() in main
> thread to kill the FailoverManager thread, but it got the following
> error:
>

> 2009-may-06 18:02:50 warning Session was not closed cleanly
>
> FATAL: exception not rethrown
>
> Aborted
>

> I thought it had something to do with pthread_cancel, so I commented out
> all the qpid related code, then the error disappeared. If I comment out
> the SubscriptionManager::cancel() and FailoverManager::close() function,
> the error still exists, but only happens occasionally rather than every
> time. I wonder have anyone seen this kind of problem before, what is the
> correct way to close a connection, do I have to call cancel() and
> close()?
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Shan
>

> The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the use of the
addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the intended recipient, please
do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this message or any attachment. Please also notify
the sender by replying to this email or by telephone (+44 (0)20 7896 0011) and then delete
the email and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusions (etc.) that do not relate to the official
business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. IG Index
plc is a company registered in England and Wales under number 01190902. VAT registration number
761 2978 07. Registered Office: Friars House, 157-168 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8EZ. Authorised
and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. FSA Register number 114059.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org