qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid svn directory structure
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:15:25 GMT
On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 15:40 +0100, Aidan Skinner wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Lahiru Gunathilake <lahiru@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > ASF projects and they are not using this approach. It's obvious someone will
> > check out the url in to a directory like qpid using this command (svn co
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/trunk qpid) when some developer do that
> > there's another directory qpid inside it and this is not that convenient.
>
> I hate that.  A lot. It really annoys me.
>
> > I'm suggesting to remove the internal qpid directory but if there's a reason
> > to have this structure sorry for suggesting this.
>
> I am +1 for fixing this, but it needs to be coordinated with downstream builds.

I also hate the current arrangement of extra "qpid" directories
(remember they are there for tags and branches too, and would mean a
much bigger rearrangement for consistency)

However I think we are stuck with it really:

1. As I said to be consistent we'd need to change every tag and branch
too.

2. Anyone (like me) who uses svn as the upstream but git (as an example)
for personal development work will be badly screwed up by this change
and will have to fetch the entire history again (or at least that is
what happened when we graduated from incubator for me).

If we decide to do this then I'd be really happy for someone (else) to
check out the effects before we actually do it.

3. As a side note, changing the svn history (say ammending a comment for
an existing checkin) after you've synced svn with a personal git repo,
causes git repos synced before and after the history change to diverge.
This has happened a (small) number of times to me and means that I've
got annoying duplication and difficulty pushing between different git
repos I keep as their history diverges. So please don't change a
historical comment (in this case historical means more than 30 mins
old!)

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org