qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Ján Sáreník <jsare...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: License question
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:26:51 GMT
Hi Ted!

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 05:52:32PM -0400, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 17:30 -0400, Ted Ross wrote:
> > I would like to add a new m4 macro definition (AC_PROG_SWIG) to the CPP
> > build directory but it has the following license text.  I understand
> > that GPLv2 is not compatible with the Apache license but I don't know if
> > the stated exceptions make it ok to incorporate this source.
>
> IANAL! But looking at the license below I think that the exceptions only
> apply to scripts generated by the m4 macros. This being the case I think
> that the macros themselves are licensed purely via GPLv2.
>
> If we wanted to include just the generated configure script then it
> looks to me like that is ok, but the m4 macros aren't

IMHO you do not need to include it in the source at all
(merely during the autoreconf process) and as Andrew says, the
generated configure is OK.

But if you are still unsure, have a look at non-GPL alternatives, e.g.
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.4.x/build/ac-macros/swig.m4
(this one is under Subversion v1 license*).

  Jasan

* http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.4.x/COPYING
--
Red Hat Czech, MRG Quality Assurance Associate (not a lawyer)

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org