qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Kearney <bkear...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: RFC: Maven and the Java Build
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:32:48 GMT
Rafael Schloming wrote:
> Bryan Kearney wrote:
>> Rafael Schloming wrote:

>>> The issue with using maven repos is that if you happen to use svn to
>>> rollback to a version where we were using maven, the build will most
>>> likely fail because it is dependent on a set of external maven repos
>>> that are no longer in sync with the needs of that particular revision.
>>>

>> sorry to be dense.. if I am using version 2.2 of a libarary, and then
>> rollback to version 2.1...how does that cause an issue with the build?
>
> If I try to build an older version of qpid that requires version 2.1,
> and the maven repo only has version 2.2 then one of two things will
> happen depending on how the pom is configured. If I specify that
> revision 2.1 is required in the pom file then the build will break
> because version 2.1 of the library is no longer available. If I don't
> specify this, then maven will attempt to build against version 2.2 which
> may fail due to incompatibilities, and even if it succeeds, it won't be
> the same bits I would have gotten had I built against version 2.1.

Ok... I have always used required... so I have never seen it pick the
latest. I have also not seen the items go away.. but I understand the issue.

> With ant we have all the dependencies stored in svn, so if I roll back
> to an older version of qpid and do a rebuild, then I know I'll get
> exactly the same bits I would have gotten had I done a build when that
> version was current.

Can the ivy setup Aiden mentioned populate/update the lib directory?
That way they latest can be checked in and we can use a single
depdendency data to build and create poms.

-- bk

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org