qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Aidan Skinner <aidan.skin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Qpid svn directory structure
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:49:27 GMT
On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Andrew Stitcher<astitcher@redhat.com> wrote:

> However I think we are stuck with it really:

You might be right...

> 1. As I said to be consistent we'd need to change every tag and branch
> too.

I'd be almost kinda ok with not doing this. It'd obviously be
preferable, but merging is such a pain anyway that I don't think it'd
be terrible if we didn't do it and had a hard line in the sand.

> 2. Anyone (like me) who uses svn as the upstream but git (as an example)
> for personal development work will be badly screwed up by this change
> and will have to fetch the entire history again (or at least that is
> what happened when we graduated from incubator for me).

git users probably would need to get a fresh checkout, but we could at
least sync from git.apache.org/qpid now, which is much, much cheaper
than pulling it down. I'm not sure what effect this would have on that
mirror though, if we're going to need infra to rebuild it we should
definitely give them a heads up.

> If we decide to do this then I'd be really happy for someone (else) to
> check out the effects before we actually do it.

We'd definitely need to check it out carefully. Which I guess argues
against it, it's quite annoying but not enough that I feel a burning
urge to put effort into it myself.

- Aidan
--
Apache Qpid - Give me convenience or give me death
http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org