qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Aidan Skinner <aidan.skin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RFC: Maven and the Java Build
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:00:04 GMT
On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Rajith Attapattu <rajith77@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Bryan Kearney<bkearney@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Ok.. I get it it now. As I understand Aiden's idea in ivy is to pull the
> > dependenr libraries from maven repos, but not to use maven as the build.
>
> Aidan, So don't we still get into the same problem if the maven repos
> no longer carry the version we require?
> Ivy could produce repeatable builds assuming the maven repos still
> carry the version we need.
> Perhaps I am missing something here??

Well, my idea was to use ivy to pull from somewhere other than the
maven repos. All the build systems I'm familar with have some varient
of the rule that the same source built on the same system should
result in equivalent bits, which this would help with.

It would also help with letting us use system versions of the
libraries, rather than shipping our own. This is more in keeping with
what users expect and generally play nicer.

Giving ivy enough information to let it populate our lib/ from the
maven repos on demand and shipping those as we do today is probably
Good Enough and quicker than writing our own resovler.

> There is definitely value in publishing the client bits in maven repos
> as a few projects that use maven wants to use Qpid.

I'd rather do this generically for all modules, obviously more people
are interested in the client bits...

- Aidan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org