qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Aidan Skinner <aidan.skin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: License question
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:12:50 GMT
2009/6/30 Ján Sáreník <jsarenik@redhat.com>:

> Hi Ted!
>
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 05:52:32PM -0400, Andrew Stitcher wrote:

>> If we wanted to include just the generated configure script then it
>> looks to me like that is ok, but the m4 macros aren't
>
> IMHO you do not need to include it in the source at all
> (merely during the autoreconf process) and as Andrew says, the
> generated configure is OK.

It's the checking it into svn part that I think is likely to be
problematic, it's the licensce most autoconf uses and that's pretty
widely adopted across the ASF. While the generated configure is ok, I
think the macro itself is probably a category X licensce like GNU
Classpath - see http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html.

> But if you are still unsure, have a look at non-GPL alternatives, e.g.
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.4.x/build/ac-macros/swig.m4
> (this one is under Subversion v1 license*).

I couldn't find any reference to this in the legal-discuss archives,
and it's not on the 3rd party licensce page.

I think xerces does SWIG things, but I'm not sure what macros they use.

- Aidan (IANAL, TINLA, talk to legal-discuss)

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org