qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: can't config a fanout exchange]
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 15:43:44 GMT
2009/10/1 Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@redhat.com>

> Robert Godfrey wrote:
>
>> The fundamental problem (IMHO) is that queue and exchange configuration is
>> ill-suited to being in a hand editable config file.  My understanding is
>> that the C++ broker stores this info in a database and you use tools to
>> manage it.
>>

> I think there are advantages to a human-readable representation that is
> easily exchanged and easily changed. I think that file could be designed
> better, either in XML or in some other format (e.g. Google Protocol
> Buffers).
>
>  Anyway - for the moment I suggest we just make queue and exchange
>> consistent(ly ugly) ... pending a more thorough fixing of the Java Broker
>> configuration...
>>

> My vote would be to use names as data, not as metadata, in the short term
> fix ;->

Well - given that the Queue configuration works...we have lots of people
using it... etc... I'm less inclined to change that than to change the
configuration which is broken and no-one uses :-)

I agree that it's a particularly unlovely way of using XML...  however I
would rather fix config more generally and do it once, rather than breaking
it for people twice

-- Rob