qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Release numbering suggestion
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:43:45 GMT
We currently have a problem distinguishing between the qpid release
numbering for actual releases and release branches and code development
on trunk.

For example before starting the 0.6 release the label 0.5 was ambiguous
- it referred both to the development code on the and the code in the
0.5 release. By that I mean that the code on trunk thought it was 0.5
too and reported that.

I propose that we change the trunk numbering to 0.7 at the point we
branch 0.6 for release.

Then I propose that we change the numbering to 0.8 when we start the
next release process.

Then we would change trunk numbering to 0.9 when branching the next
release etc.

The advantage of this scheme is that it is immediately obvious whether a
given release is development or a released release (odd numbers are dev,
even are release). It also means that the numbering is never shared
between trunk and a branch.

Minor disadvantage: Our releases skip from 0.6 to 0.8 to 0.10 etc.

Comments?

[unless I hear heated opposition by the actual point of release, I will
do this]

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org