qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Greig <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 10000 msgs limit per session
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 21:24:56 GMT
2009/12/1 Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com>:

> I think the point for this thread is that if it is windows-only then it
> isn't really a substitute for the existing dotnet clients which work (in as
> much as they have ever worked) on mono.

Well that assumes that running on mono is a goal? Do we have any users
of the .NET client on Mono?

IKVM is a way of running Java. I have no idea whether IKVM implements
enough of the JDK libraries to enable the Qpid Java client to run
under it but let's assume for the moment that it does. Further, let us
assume that some important change in 0.6 or another upcoming release
breaks that. Do we say that we should not proceed with that change
because IKVM isn't supported?

I think it (fairly obviously) depends on the demands of our users (and
our perceptions of those demands). How many people want a .NET client
that doesn't work on any platform versus a WCF platform that works on
Windows?

> So the question in both cases is whether or not there is a good reason for
> the code (both the WCF impl and the C++ broker) to be platform specific.

I can see that it would be nice to have a completely managed code .NET
library (for example, I think you need to be fully managed to support
one click deployment?). However I can also see that leveraging the
existing C++ codebase is very attractive since the core of it has been
tested a lot on linux and the port of the rest is required for a
Windows broker.

It would be interesting to know if this is why the Microsoft guys
decided to take that approach rather than rewriting the managed code
client.

RG

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org