qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Greig <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 10000 msgs limit per session
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:21:47 GMT
2009/12/2 Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com>:

>> If your goal is to deliver a robust .NET client on a single platform
>> in a short timeframe going down a non-managed hybrid route doesn't to
>> me appear unreasonable.
>
> I don't think anyone has said that its an unreasonable approach if you only
> care about supporting windows. The question is whether or not that goal
> meshes particularly well with the goals of the qpid project.

Having a goal is fine, but there is the practical question about the
allocation of scarce resources. I think we all agree that a pure
managed code solution is attractive for a number of reasons, but
getting a Windows broker plus a very robust WCF client in as short a
period as possible is taking the project significantly forward.

If a vendor in my day job told me that they could deliver a .NET
client that I needed in 3 months but it only worked on Windows or I
could wait 6 months and get one that could (maybe) run on Mono I know
which one I would choose.

> I hesitate to speak for Gordon, but since he's on vacation I'll go out on a
> limb and say that while there is still more work to do, the C++ API should
> be implemented enough to support the stuff that the WCF impl is doing and a
> fair bit more AFAICT.

This would definitely be worth pursuing - it would be good to get a
view on what the user demand is from the various commercial vendors of
AMQP products.

RG

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org