qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: 10000 msgs limit per session
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:11:38 GMT
Robert Greig wrote:
> 2009/11/30 Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com>:
>
>> I have no doubt that a suitably motivated individual could get this stuff
>> working on mono, and even make it production ready. The tricky part is
>> finding enough suitably motivated individuals to do this and to keep fixing
>> it when it breaks. Given our history with the first two dotnet clients, I'm
>> very wary of taking on another attempt lightly.
>
> Well, I can see that the advantage of basing it on the C++ client is
> that we already have that working on linux and Windows. So the only
> bit that is not managed code from your original list is the C++ code
> specific to the interop, which is very small. I suppose the question
> is whether anyone cares about it running on Mono - if anyone does
> they'll volunteer to make it work in the same way that anyone who
> wants the C++ broker to run on (say) MacOS will do so.

I think the point for this thread is that if it is windows-only then it
isn't really a substitute for the existing dotnet clients which work (in
as much as they have ever worked) on mono.

There is of course the larger point about how we as a project should
deal with platform specific code/functionality. Personally I think that
given that we're a messaging project and the point of messaging is to
hook together heterogeneous systems, we should in general strive to
provide access to functionality from as many different environments as
possible.

So the question in both cases is whether or not there is a good reason
for the code (both the WCF impl and the C++ broker) to be platform specific.

--Rafael

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org