qpid-dev mailing list archives

From James Mansion <ja...@mansionfamily.plus.com>
Subject Re: Accepting large contributions (was Re: 10000 msgs limit per session)
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 21:18:04 GMT
Aidan Skinner wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:11 PM, James Mansion
> <james@mansionfamily.plus.com> wrote:
>
> Eh, I don't really want to get rid of the actively maintained clients
> we already have. In particular, Java and C# derive enormous benefits
> from purely managed code in terms of portability, JITability etc.

Well, *some* benefits. There's not much point having jitability and
portability if the result
is that resources are spread thinly and none of the non-C[++]
implementations works
properly.  I don't think the functionality and portability story is very
good at the moment.

Also, I think the 'native VM only' angle is oversold be zealots.
Certainly in the investment
banking industry its very common to find that quant libraries etc are
written in C++ precisely
because its portable between Java, .Net and so on, so apps with
significant business
logic (ie ones that matter) are infrequently pure VM systems anyway.

I really don't think there's a problem exposing APIs that look a bit
ugly or non-standard
in the client languages so long as the full API is present - as an
enabler for developers who
care about idiomatic presentation.
.
James