qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Ritchie <ritch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [java] Adding support for the new address format in the JMS client
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:20:53 GMT
2009/12/10 Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com>:
> Gordon Sim wrote:
>>
>> On 11/25/2009 11:06 PM, Rafael Schloming wrote:
>>>
>>> One question I have is about how we'll provide access to alternate
>>> syntaxes via jndi configuration and the JMS API (i.e.
>>> createQueue(...)/createTopic(...)). I can think of a few options, e.g.
>>> switching between syntaxes using a system/connection property. Or maybe
>>> having some sort of meta-syntax that that would permit usage of the two
>>> syntaxes side by side, e.g. "OLD: ...", "NEW: ...", or possibly some
>>> combination of the two approaches.
>>
>> In the case of jndi configuration, what about having a different context
>> factory to do the parsing? I.e. in jndi configuration files using the new
>> syntax you would specify something other than the existing
>> org.apache.qpid.jndi.PropertiesFileInitialContextFactory. That way existing
>> configuration will work as before with no changes, and a new format can be
>> parsed without any need to worry about the older format.
>>
>> That doesn't deal with strings passed to createQueue()/createTopic() of
>> course. Perhaps there a specific 'factory' can be associated with a
>> connection, configured via a connection option? Where a file backed jndi
>> configuration is used the two different context factories could then set
>> different defaults for this meaning again that old config would be
>> unaffected and new config could ignore the old config entirely also.
>>
>> Just a suggestion...
>
> I've been thinking we should just do something like:
>
> "ADDR: ..." gets parsed as an address (after removing the ADDR:)
> "BURL: ..." gets parsed as a binding url (after removing the BURL:)
>
> and anything not starting with ADDR: or BURL: gets parsed as one or the
> other according to some default that is configurable at the connection,
> context factory, and JVM levels.
>
> --Rafael

Hi Rafi, do you have some examples of your grammar, my cold filled
head still doesn't follow why you have to start prefixing things.

What ever we do new JNDI, prefixing (which I find a tad strange) we
need to support both formats simultaneously in a single file to allow
users to migrate.

Martin

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Martin Ritchie