qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Aidan Skinner <aidan.skin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 10000 msgs limit per session
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 01:17:18 GMT
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Robert Greig <robert.j.greig@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/1 Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com>:
>
>> I think the point for this thread is that if it is windows-only then it
>> isn't really a substitute for the existing dotnet clients which work (in as
>> much as they have ever worked) on mono.
>
> Well that assumes that running on mono is a goal? Do we have any users
> of the .NET client on Mono?

Well, discounting myself (I have a half-baked^Wimplemented system to
manage my music using AMQP and Banshee), it's shipped in downstream
distros (eg. SLES10) and there was an effort to implement
System.Messaging for Mono on top of Qpid but that was ditched for
RabbitMQ. So there's clearly some demand for it, although potentially
stymied by some FAIL on our part.

> It would be interesting to know if this is why the Microsoft guys
> decided to take that approach rather than rewriting the managed code
> client.

TBH the problem, as Rafi points out, is not so much the
"built-on-top-of-C++-client" nature (although that would prevent
deployment as part of a Silverlight/Moonlight app, or as an iPhone
application via MonoTouch) but that the glue is pretty tightly couple
to both Windows and the Microsoft CLR implementation. It reaches into
it in fundamentally unportable ways, particularly around the locking
abstractions.

- Aidan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org