qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Move documentation to svn / DocBook?
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 14:56:23 GMT

> I too am a huge +1 on this as being able to tie docs to releases would
> be great. It would also make it much easier for users to contribute
> patches to the docs.
>
> What were the thoughts about presenting the docbook on our website? As
> Aidan mentioned there is a forrest site in svn which could server as
> an example for doing the same on trunk.

Most projects will upload an HTML version of the documentation for the
latest release (and the last 2 or 3 releases) into their website
folder and link it from the main page.
The release artifacts will include docs in HTML or pdf. I assume that
was your expectation ??

Website Option 1
----------------------
As for the website, Forrest seems more than adequate.
More complicated websites/documentation have been handled easily with Forrest.
However it seems a bit difficult to get going and it maybe an overkill
for us? Aidan what do you think?

Website Option 2
Repository, Getting Involved, People page etc... is fairly static.
So we could have a static set of web pages for the above.
Then we could get some help from a graphics guy to create a nice theme
for us with style sheets.
We could apply that theme to our static web pages and our docbook
generated documentation.
This would give our website a much needed facelift in a fairly easy way.
The static webpages and style sheets should live under svn as well (We
could have a top level folder called website).
qpid.apache.org will be pointed to our main index.html
The confluence wiki will be use for what it's designed for rather than
as a website. Our main page will contain a link to the wiki.
I have seen this approach work well in other open source projects.

Website Option 3
Yet another idea is to see how we could apply some style sheets to
confluence to make it look pretty.
I googled this a bit but didn't find much info. Anybody else
researched this area?

My personal preference is Option 2. And my least favourable option is Option 3.

Regards,

Rajith

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org