qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: What happened to QPID_TSS?
Date Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:21:47 GMT
On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 16:48 -0500, Alan Conway wrote:
> There used to be a macro called QPID_TSS which expanded to __thread on gcc and
> the equivalent windows decl on windows.
> It appears to be gone, and instead there are naked __thread declarations in
> various places.
>
> Can anyone comment on why its gone? Don't we need that abstraction?

It was unfortunately not much of an abstraction and so wasn't really of
any use. I think it got removed when the last thing using it was removed
for the code base.

I'm pretty sure that it turns out (at least presently) that the only
thread specific vars are in platform specific code. And so a macro to
switch between the windows and gcc syntax wasn't actually necessary.

The real TSS abstraction we will need is to support compilers/platforms
that don't have a built in compiler __thread. For instance the Mac OSX
version of gcc.

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org