qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [c++]: messaging api, uuids and handles
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:52:28 GMT
On 01/13/2010 09:42 AM, Gordon Sim wrote:
> I have an outstanding Jira (QPID-2323) to add support for uuids as a
> value for a Variant in the 'new' API (it is wanted for QMF and seems
> like it might be a generically useful type).
>
> The current Uuid class is in qpid::framing and has exposed dependencies
> on things I don't want to be part of the API (such as boost::array and
> qpid::framing::Buffer).
>
> My thought therefore is to create a copy of that class in the
> qpid::messaging namespace, pimpled and cleaned up to avoid the undesired
> dependencies. Does that sound like the right approach?

I don't think it should be pimpled, it's a value type and the 16-byte
representation will never change. I'd suggest a char[16] member and manually
write the stuff that boost::array provides (copy, assign etc.)

> While on the subject of namespaces and dependencies, is there any need
> to worry about using qpid::client::Handle? That is the superclass of
> most of the API classes now.

That class has no dependencies but if you're concerned about having any
dependencies on the client namespace you could copy it to messaging::Handle.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org