qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Consistent naming convention for JMS client properties (and possibly other clients)
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2010 22:56:49 GMT
Hi All,

The JMS client does not have a consistent naming convention for system
properties, connection URL properties or extension properties
specified in extra arguments sent in AMQP commands.
Some properties start with "amqj[dot]" while other start with
"qpid[dot]" and some without any sort of prefix.
This has led to confusion and sometimes two different properties exist
for configuring the same parameter.
We also don't have a single place within the code or within
documentation that lists all these properties.

Therefore I propose the following.

1. Name all configuration properties, extension properties and
connection URL properties starting with "qpid[dot]"
   The c++ client is also following the same strategy. It would be
great if the rest of the clients follow a similar naming convention as
well.

2. We should provide backwards compatibility for the currently
supported properties with a warning that it will be discontinued after
two release cycles.

3. For JMS/Java we could use the ClientProperties.java as a
place-holder for defining the property names. A similar place should
exist for the broker side.

4. Document all properties in one single place
    I plan to add this in the new svn documentation that jonathan is
putting together.
    A preliminary version could be added in the wiki.

Regards,

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/