qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: moving stuff out of the python dir
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:16:21 GMT
Rajith Attapattu wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Some of you may recall that I ranted a bit just prior to the freeze for the
>> 0.6 release about how lots of non-client related stuff has been accumulating
>> in the python directory as of late. It was a bit too late to do anything
>> about it at the time, but as the freeze is over now, I'd like to start
>> cleaning things up a bit.
>>
>> For that reason I intend to make the following moves over the next few days.
>> Please shout if this will disrupt you or if you disagree with any of the
>> locations I've picked.
> Instead of the following
> qmf/                  --->      qpid/extras/qmf
> qmf2/                 --->      qpid/extras/qmf
>
> How about,
>
> qmf/                  --->      qpid/management/qmf
> qmf2/                 --->      qpid/management/qmf

I wouldn't consider qmf a management tool. It's really a general purpose
remoting library that happens to be used by us to build management
tools, but may well be used for non management things.

Also, I'm not sure there is necessarily a need to distinguish between
"management" and "tools". There seems to be a potential for overlap
there between e.g. diagnostic tools and management tools, but maybe I'm
missing some distinction you're thinking of?

> Ideally I'd like to see the following top level directories
>
> management
> brokers
> clients
> tools
> extras
> docs
> tests
> sandbox
>
> Getting there might be a challenge, but we will eventually get there
> if we do it step by step.

Other than management and tools seeming a bit redundant/overlapping, I
like this organization, however I don't really want to get mired in a
big reorg discussion. Right now I'm just focusing on cleaning up the
situation in the python dir.

--Rafael

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org