qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: moving stuff out of the python dir
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 19:52:42 GMT
On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 7:16 AM, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com> wrote:
> Rajith Attapattu wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Some of you may recall that I ranted a bit just prior to the freeze for
>>> the
>>> 0.6 release about how lots of non-client related stuff has been
>>> accumulating
>>> in the python directory as of late. It was a bit too late to do anything
>>> about it at the time, but as the freeze is over now, I'd like to start
>>> cleaning things up a bit.
>>>
>>> For that reason I intend to make the following moves over the next few
>>> days.
>>> Please shout if this will disrupt you or if you disagree with any of the
>>> locations I've picked.
>>
>> Instead of the following
>> qmf/                  --->      qpid/extras/qmf
>> qmf2/                 --->      qpid/extras/qmf
>>
>> How about,
>>
>> qmf/                  --->      qpid/management/qmf
>> qmf2/                 --->      qpid/management/qmf
>
> I wouldn't consider qmf a management tool. It's really a general purpose
> remoting library that happens to be used by us to build management tools,
> but may well be used for non management things.
>
> Also, I'm not sure there is necessarily a need to distinguish between
> "management" and "tools". There seems to be a potential for overlap there
> between e.g. diagnostic tools and management tools, but maybe I'm missing
> some distinction you're thinking of?

I am fine with qmf stuff being under tools.

>> Ideally I'd like to see the following top level directories
>>
>> management
>> brokers
>> clients
>> tools
>> extras
>> docs
>> tests
>> sandbox
>>
>> Getting there might be a challenge, but we will eventually get there
>> if we do it step by step.
>
> Other than management and tools seeming a bit redundant/overlapping, I like
> this organization, however I don't really want to get mired in a big reorg
> discussion. Right now I'm just focusing on cleaning up the situation in the
> python dir.

If are to get there I think the key is to not initiate any big reorg,
but rather changes like what you are doing for the python dir.
If people take the initiative and make minor changes like this, then
over a period of time we will eventually get there.

> --Rafael

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Regards,

Rajith Attapattu