qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Constructing abstime from uint64_t
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 14:23:56 GMT
On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 09:22 -0400, Alan Conway wrote:
> On 04/06/2010 10:29 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 15:33 -0400, Alan Conway wrote:
> >> I need to (de)serialize AbsTime timestamps. I can convert an AbsTime to a
> >> uint64_t with uint64_t(Duration(abstime)) but I don't see how to convert back
> >> an AbsTime. I can just add a constructor but wanted to check with you if I'm
> >> missing the intent.
> >
> > The problem here is that fundamentally the class is designed not to show
> > it's epoch value. The fact you can wheedle it out by going via a
> > Duration is not intentional!
> >
> > [BTW Duration&  AbsTime encapsulate an int64_t so using uint64_t is
> > incorrect. Both are allowed to be negative - Duration -ve indicates
> > before the time you asked about, AbsTime -ve indicates before the Epoch]
> >
> > The external representation can't simply be the nanosec count in AbsTime
> > as different platforms have different Epochs. This is certainly true
> > between Windows and Unix.
> >
> > I guess there needs to be an explicit way to convert a specific
> > date/time to an AbsTime so that you can use the existing differencing
> > operations as you can get a Duration out of the difference between the
> > AbsTime you're serialising and some fixed Epoch AbsTime. And equally you
> > can construct an AbsTime out of an Epoch AbsTime and a Duration.
> >
> > Actually I suppose you could just declare a new static AbsTime as the
> > Epoch and make sure it represents the same time across all platforms.
> > Then use it for serialisation. That would avoid needing to do the
> > general Date->AbsTime thing.
> >
> > This has rambled a bit, get back to me if it's not clear, I could add an
> > Epoch AbsTime for you if it's not clear how to do it fairly easily.
>

> Here's a patch to add an EPOCH constant to Time.h, Steve can you check that I've
> got the windows part right?

Minor Quibbles:

To be consistent with the other constant(s) in the file "Epoch" would be
better than the all capitalised version.

Similarly for consistency, it might be better to use a member function
Epoch() - like FarFuture() which is also a constant. I admit I can't
remember why it's not a simple constant. but why not just be consistent
with it?

Incidentally, does c++ guarantee that global constant POD classes like
AbsTime have their members 0 initialised? The Posix code relies on it,
but I can't remember that little niche of behaviour at this moment
(without my copy of the standard here). Probably wise to comment to that
effect before the definition if so.

Andrew

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org