qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid docs - file structure and organization
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:16:46 GMT
On 04/14/2010 01:14 PM, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> On 04/14/2010 10:24 AM, Rajith Attapattu wrote:
>> As I have mentioned in the past, we should just publish what we have
>> right now.
>> If we wait until it's perfect this will never be done.
>> I am not worried about dangling links. We could resolve them in time.
>>
>> What we have now can't be any worse than the current wiki docs.
>> **So please lets publish what we have now.**
>> Once it's more visible more people will participate.
>
> I agree - what we have is no worse than the current Wiki, and getting
> this posted would put pressure on us all to actually use it.
>
> I think a few days would be enough to get rid of a few embarrassing
> things - I can do that next week but not this week, I'm slammed. I
> suggest the following:
>
> 1. Next week, put the svn content up alongside the current Wiki, on the
> home page, with a notice that the Wiki is being phased out as primary
> documentation.
>
> 2. Make all changes to the svn documentation moving forward (it's OK to
> make it to the Wiki too)
>
> 3. Plan to convert completely to the svn documentation in some
> reasonable timeframe (to be defined). Drop the Wiki as soon as we're
> convinced the svn DocBook is good enough to do so.
>
> How does this sound?

Sounds good to me, but I just want to clarify: We're not talking about replacing
the entire wiki with docbook, only the documentation pages. The project related
stuff (getting started, where to download etc.) stays on the wiki. Right?

I suggest we be aggressive about getting docbook on line and deleting the
redundant wiki content as soon as we can. If the docbook needs polish, better to
do that after we've switched than to prolong the confusing docbook/wiki redundancy.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org