qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Robie <jonathan.ro...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: New design doc - where to put it?
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 15:24:46 GMT
On 04/30/2010 11:02 AM, Steve Huston wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> I am going to write up a new design doc for another store module for
> Windows. Where is the best place for this in the new scheme of things? I
> would ordinarily put it in the wiki (that is, if it worked ;-) but is
> that still the best place for it?

If the Wiki still worked
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2671), that would be a
reasonable place to put it. I'd rather see design docs in the source
code tree, perhaps in the place where the new module is supposed to
live. That way, if I'm looking at the code, I also have the design
documentation that describes the code.

For instance, perhaps we could agree that any time you have foo/src,
foo/doc is the right place to put design documentation that describes
that source? And in some directories where there is no ./src
subdirectory, like qpid/cpp/rubygen, we can just add ./doc as needed.

We could describe that convention in a README at the top level.

Does this sound good?

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org