qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Versioning DocBook and API docs on the Qpid Web Site
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 15:34:12 GMT
I would keep it simple for now.

We should post the current docs as work-in-progress.
Then when we release 0.7 we can then have our first set of version
controlled docs.
For all previous releases we should ask them to refer to the wiki docs.

We shouldn't delete the old wiki docs.
Rather in bold letters we should put at the top saying that these docs
are deprecated and *may* only be relevant for versions < 0.7 or
something to that extent :)

How does that sound?

Rajith

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Jonathan Robie
<jonathan.robie@redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm getting ready to post the DocBook docs on the Qpid web site along with
> API docs (looks like early next week at this point).
>
> I want to make sure we have a good plan to handle versions and links among
> documents. I think a file structure like this might work well:
>
> Versions
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/
> contains all docs
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/devel/
> symlink to the devel version of the documentation
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/stable/
> symlink to the docs for the latest release
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/ 0.6/
> docs for a specific version
>
> Subdirectories
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/book/
> Current Wiki, converted to book. We may eventually subdivide this into
> different guides, e.g. http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/book/programming,
> or http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/book/broker-java.
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/api/cpp
> C++ API reference, generated by Doxygen
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/stable/api/cpp
> Python API reference, generated by ePydoc
>
> Links among Documents
>
> Links should be absolute links to the current version of the documentation.
> For instance, a link from
> http://qpid.apache.org/doc/0.6/book/qpid-book.html to the C++ API docs
> should point to http://qpid.apache.org/doc/0.6/api/cpp
>
> Tracking changes in the text
>
> We should endeaver to use phrases like "since 0.6" to identify new features
> and changes, so the latest documentation shows what has changed.
>

> Does this makes sense? Once we start using a given structure, it becomes
> harder to change, so I want to get agreement on this up front.
>
> Jonathan

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Regards,

Rajith Attapattu